Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014 - Crossfit How I Missed Thee...

Our box closed for about a week over Christmas/New Year and felt like forever. I was so excited to get back to the box today for the first WOD of the year.

Today's workout was:

A) 3 x 400m ME row

B) AMRAP in 10mins
  • 7 deadlift
  • 7 power cleans
  • 7 front squat
  • 7 push press
Who would think four minutes of total work could make you feel exhausted, wobbly legs and weak, but that was what happened after 3 x 400 metre max effort rows.

We had three people to a rower, so got a few minutes rest between each row. I haven't spent much time on the rowers, so was rather pleased with my first time of 1:33, next time of 1:38 and I don't remember my third row time.

After the last row I struggled to get off the rower or even stand, my legs were like jelly and I was exhausted and it was only four minutes total work. Amazing the power of Crossfit and having the coach and peers encouraging to keep working hard and to dig deep right towards the end. I would never push that hard on my own.

After the rows I had no idea how I was going to complete the AMRAP. We had earlier completed a warm up of the movements. I used a 15kg bar, which felt fine during the warmup, but after the rowing, the bar was very heavy, especially trying to squat and push press. I looked for the 7kg bars, but they were both taken, so I committed to chipping away for the 10 minutes with the 15kg bar.

The deadlifts and power hang cleans were easy, but the squats and push presses were tough, with lots of breaks in the 10 minutes I managed four rounds, which I was happy with.

I was absolutely exhausted and drained, but it felt so good to be alive and back at Crossfit!

1 comment: