Monday, January 6, 2014

120 Box Jumps

Today's WOD:

A) Push jerk
  • 5-5-5-5-5 + ME @ 85% of last set
B) 4 x AMRAP in 3mins (resting 3mins between):
  • 15 box jump (60/50)
  • 7 dip

Last night when the WOD was posted, my immediate thought was that sadly I'd have to skip todays WOD due to the box jump component, but my friends advice of just keep turning up, and all the Crossfit articles that tell us not the cherry pick WODS, kept coming up in my thoughts. I decided I would go and do step ups if I couldn't face the box jumps.

This morning I kept thinking about the box jumps and the fact that I know I can do them. It is only my fear of falling that's stopping me, so I reminded myself when I did fall it didn't hurt much and didn't do any damage, even though it was an impressive stack.

I googled videos on box jumping technique and mentally prepared myself to do the box jumps knowing it was an AMRAP workout and I could take my time, but still nervous.

I worked up to a weight of 22.5 kg's with the push jerk focusing on technique rather then lifting a heavy weight. I am finding I go to wide with my feet in the squat at the moment, something to work on.

Next was the AMRAP, my first few sets of box jumps (40cm box) were slow and hesitant, making sure I lifted my feet high enough each time, but by the last few I was jumping quicker, but still making sure in my fatigued state I lifted my feet high enough.

The dips I did between two boxes and found these reasonably easy, I wanted to focus on rebuilding my confidence with the box jumps.

Results below:

AMRAP 1 - 2 rounds
AMRAP 2 - 2 rounds
AMRAP 3 - 1 round + 15 box jumps
AMRAP 4 - 2 rounds

I might of had a couple of tears of happiness whilst I watched the second group finish off, at the realisation I'd completed 120 box jumps, when I was originally thinking about doing step ups or not showing up at all!

Crossfit is definitely teaching me the power of my mind...

1 comment: