Friday, January 3, 2014

Below Parallel Squatting

Today's workout was:

A) Front squat
  • 5-5-5-5-5 + ME @ 85% of last set
B) 4 rounds for time:
  • 30 air squat
  • Run 200m
  • 10 KB push press each arm (24/16)
  • Run 200m
Today I decided to focus on technique and getting below parallel in my squats, so kept the weight low. The first couple of rounds I completed with the 15kg barbell, with squats deeps and good technique, so upped the weight to 20 kg, then 22.5kg, with the heavier weight allowing me to get deeper in the squat. My final round was with 25 kgs.

I am starting to see improvements in my squats and my ability to get below parallel, it has taken about 4 months and I do a lot of ankle, hip mobility which seems to be working. Squatting seems to be such an important part of Crossfit.

The second workout for the day didn't look too bad, but like many of the simple workouts was quite a killer. I took my time with the 30 air squats to ensure good technique and to ensure I was going below parallel. The squats felt really good and deep for the first time since starting Crossfit.

The 200m run was next and it was interesting to observe my thoughts as they changed during each round. The first round of runs I was concerned about how slow I was and how long I would finish after everyone else, but I always work on changing these thoughts to more positive ones and telling myself that I can do this and coming last doesn't matter.

The second round of runs was again hard and I was giving myself pep talks, but the third and fourth runs were fine as I knew I was over half way and could get through the workout.

I used the 8kg kettlebell for the push presses as it was the first time I had done this move. These were probably the easiest part of the workout, once I got the push part sorted.

I did come last by quite a bit, but the support everyone offered was wonderful. I had two people run the last 200m with me, supporting me to up the pace for the last run and to finish with a sprint to the end. It is this kind of support that makes Crossfit so wonderful. It was another tough workout, but I always love the way my body and mind feels afterwards. Some days I go to Crossfit in a down mood due to little things, but after a workout I can always go about my day in a better frame of mind.

We were discussing the 56k Yurrebilla Trail Run, which is held in September each year and the coach asked if I would still like to run it, as he knew I was training for it last year, but I wasn't ready. I definitely would and he is going to help me get there, plus I want to get back out for trail runs during the year. It was exciting to start talking about upcoming runs entering them.

I may be running 17-18k on Sunday in the Summit to Sea free run, but it depends if a place opens up the bus. I'm on the waiting list so we will see.  I haven't done any long runs in months, but feel fitter than a long time, so happy to walk / run it and see how I go.

2 comments:

  1. Well done on your WOD. Isn't it a fantastic feeling when you get a movement down pat?

    I often have to give myself pep talks throughout run legs and I'm always amazed at how positive I am when I get over that hump or midway through the WOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does feel fantastic, nervous about today's WOD, which has box jumps, but I am telling myself I can do it and as it is an AMRAP I can take my time on the box jumps, rather then having to get a certain number done...

    I didn't end up doing the Summit to Sea as no spots left on the bus, but probably a good thing as I went for a little run yesterday and think I will need to work up to the 20km;s again.

    ReplyDelete