Friday, January 10, 2014

Olympic Lifting Course - Session One

Last night was our first session of the Olympic Lifting Course with Max Dal Santo, six sessions over 3 weeks.

It was hot in the box last night, sweat dripping off me as we worked through three different techniques for snatching. I always find there is so much to think about and it feels awkward and strange. I get nervous performing the moves whilst being watched/coached, wanting to try and do everything suggested perfectly...

We went through the Power Snatch, Snatch Balance and I don't remember the name of the third technique, but we lifted the bar from below the knee to above the knee, paused and repeated, using our legs only. 

I used a 15kg bar for all techniques and I was amazed at how sore my arms and upper back were getting during the power snatching.

The snatch balance really showed my weakness in squatting and that I can't do overhead squats yet!

The third technique really burns the quads.

I really enjoyed last night and I am looking forward to the second session Saturday morning.

2 comments:

  1. I find OHS soooo hard and it has been a lot of work to get better at them. I spend a lot of time facing the wall working on my technique with a broomstick but I'm getting there ... as will you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try that technique Michelle, I will google it... I need to purchase a piece of pvc for this sort of stuff. I tried it with a broomstick, but felt lopsided...

    ReplyDelete