Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Mental Side of Crossfit

I have been thinking about how my thoughts on the day of the crossfit games contributed to my performance during the third workout, the chipper. So many studies have been completed on the power of the mind and the way it affects our performance.

The chipper workout was announced in it's entirety Saturday morning and it was then I saw the two sets of lunges. Thoughts started around how much I hate lunges and especially overhead lunges. I hadn't completed any lunges in training with a 10kg plate overhead and honestly didn't know if I could.

Once I started the workout my thoughts instantly went to how much I hated it, why was I doing it, I don't want to do it anymore and also fear of the box jumps. I don't remember a lot more of the workout after this, I was determined to continue, but was aware how far behind I was.

I do wonder how different my performance may have been if my mindset during the workout was more positive and encouraging. I was fortunate to have a wonderful judge that was supportive and encouraging and hearing people in the crowd supporting me.

I know firsthand how powerful the mind is, I have changed the way I view myself and my body from one of loathing and hate, to one of love and acceptance through a lot of mirror work and positive thoughts repeated over and over again.

It is something to ponder for the next chipper workout or workout that has moves I don't like. What would happen if instead of telling myself how much I hate those lunges, I instead told myself how much I love lunges, how good they are for my butt and legs and that I can do them well and strongly.

1 comment:

  1. I am often having that mental battle during a workout and it is amazing when I change my mindset and how I talk to myself during movements I find hard how much easier it seems. Wall balls, thrusters,double unders, rowing and running are the worst for me but I try to find positives and keep chipping away. The thing is the coaches say they go through the same emotions which makes me feel better.

    You are doing amazingly well with Crossfit. Well done!

    ReplyDelete