Friday, April 4, 2014

Monkeying Around

I've always loved watching adults do the monkey bars in events like Tough Mudder and other obstacle courses, but since leaving primary school I've never had the upper body strength to do them myself. I have tried many times, but couldn't move one arm to the next bar.

Joining Crossfit last September I had a secret goal in my head to do the monkey bars again!

Yesterday I met my brother for a lovely lunch in a nearby town, then headed to the local park to walk my dog Neddie. On the walk I came across this set of monkey bars, which I have tried many times over the years, but no go.
 

So as per all my previous attempts I climbed up and grabbed onto the bar and tried to move one arm to the next bar, and in surprise I managed it and then fell to the ground. I tried again and something similar happened, but I was so wrapped that I managed to move one arm, that I tried a third time and managed to get all the way across. The next attempt the same thing happened, plus I got a little clap from a passerby, then completed one more crossing, for three times across. By now my hands were sore and red, so knew I wouldn't get a fourth one in. Absolutely made my day.

I was and still am bouncing with awe that I finally have the strength to do the monkey bars as an adult and I am also probably at my heavist weight too. I no longer own scales, so don't actually know what I weigh.

I can't wait to be back in the town to swing on the monkey bars again!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kristy, have been reading your blog, feeling quite inspired actually. I'm dying to find some monkey bars and see if I can still do them now, I loved them as a young kid and darsay young teenager. Sorry your work hours didn't work with Crossfit but you sound to be doing many amazing things! :-) Well done on your recent 5k!

    ReplyDelete